Wednesday, November 19, 2008

He is in a better place....

Hi everyone,

Wow.....I didn't realize that my very last post was to ask for help for my dear friend Lorin, and now I am here to ask for more help, in a different way. His family needs prayers.

My dear friend Lorin passed away last night, after a few very difficult months of fighting cancer. They literally told him just one day before that there probably wasn't any more hope, and that they were going to be sending him home with hospice. And then, as soon as Heavenly Father could, he relieved him of his pain and brought him home to him.

I was so sad yesterday, thinking of his poor family, his poor parents who have this trial to endure, but I am so happy he is in a better place. On Sunday he got to be set apart as an Elder, and I know Elder Merkley will be preaching the gospel in heaven.

On our trek, and just in his life in general, his nickname was Lorin "The Magnificent" Merkley- and he truly was. For him to be taken back to his Heavenly Father so early in his life, he must have truly been a magnificent young man. He was ready.

I think of our Stake Youth Trek motto and know it will apply to Lorin's life....
"The Legacy Continues"

I love you Lorin and I will miss you!

11 comments:

Krystall said...

I'm so sorry Emily. We will pray for his family.

Unknown said...

That is too bad. Young death is always a little more bitter than sweet. He sounds like a great leader.

Wright Family said...

That breaks my heart!! We saw him at the football game on Friday night. My heart goes out to that family, but you are right - he must have been a pretty special spirit.

Jami Baker said...

Brent sent us the link to his little journal website. Such a sad thing for the family, but how amazing for him. It's not fair for any parent to lose a child. They seem like an amazing family though. Our prayers are with them.

PS, I love your new family pictures. Way cute!!

DeAnne Baum said...

What a sad but touching story! He sounds like an amazing guy.

Annie said...

I can't imagine how his parents must be feeling right now. You can't help but wonder why things like that happen, you just have to take it on faith that it's part of a bigger plan. That's easier said than done though. I think things like this help remind us that we need to be the best person we can be and show love to everyone. Sorry for your loss.

Sheri Lee said...

I am so sorry Emily. I can't imagine how painful this must be. How great that you got the chance to know him before he was sick, and know how great he was before he was called home!

As Told By Molly said...

You and Brent are so lucky to have known Lorin. The Trek proves over and over to be such a powerful tool in the lives of the youth and leaders that attended.
Our prayers are with the Merkley family.

Jenna said...

I feel so bad for that family. It is so hard when they are young, even with the gospel knowledge we have. He really must have been needed on the other side. I love your new family picture too, so cute.

DeAnne Baum said...

If your interested I had to change our blog to tbaumfamily.blogspot.com I hope all is well.

baldwin family said...

Hey Brent and Emily!! it was great spending time with you guys this past weekend...sure do miss you guys!! We will see you next month when we come back for Kristy's sister's baby blessing. Our blog is: thebaldwinsix.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. LOVE YA!!!!
Johnny B.